Wednesday, March 9, 2016

God--The True Hero



“The disciples were even more amazed, and said to each other, "Who then can be saved?" Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God." (Mark 10:26-27)

Everyone loves a hero.  In ancient times, there were epic tales of heroes who waged war against supernatural monsters and vast enemy armies.  Today, there are movies and books filled with stories about the victorious underdog who wins the battle against all odds.  Someone is told he or she can’t do something, but then they work harder than everyone else around them and accomplish it. Movies and novels about events like these are often sincere, wonderful and uplifting. But what do they really tell us about ourselves?

Several years ago, I lost both my legs.  When I received my first pair of prosthetic legs, everyone cheered me on and congratulated me for the progress I had made in learning to walk again.  They said they were proud of me, and that I was a hero for what I had accomplished.  And yet, to this day, there are some things I still cannot do.  I must learn to live within my human limitations.

In today’s scripture, Jesus clearly stated that there is such a thing as an “impossibility” for man, “but not with God, all things are possible with God.” What this means is that ultimately, God is the Hero. He is the “Super Power” Who created all things.  But as His creation, we do have a part to play in His story.

We are the supporting cast that may have a brave scene or a series of profound lines, but in reality, the Hero is God. He graciously brings us into His wonderful story and gives us far more than front row seats.   He gives us His Son, Jesus, to restore us when we fail him.  And God sometimes enables us to do heroic things through Him, and for Him.

I’m not really a hero, just some guy trying to live as normal a life as possible. And the great thing about not being the hero is that we never have to worry about not being good enough. The true Hero in our life will never fail us like we can, and will, fail others.
 
So let’s rejoice in our awesome Hero, God, from whom all blessings flow.  His gift of Jesus and eternal salvation is the most heroic expression of God’s eternal love for us.  Death could not hold him, all our sins are washed away when we believe, and we are secure forever because of our true Hero.




Can God change your life?
God has made it possible for you to know Him, and experience an amazing change
in your own life.
Discover how you can find peace with God.




.





No comments:

Post a Comment