Thursday, April 23, 2020

Overcoming Fear


Confession time!  I am deathly afraid of spiders. Just writing the words sends shivers up and down my back. Alice wonders how a grown man can be so afraid of something so small.  But I have had this fear ever since I was a child.  I use to dream at night that a huge spider was slowly dropping down on me from the ceiling above my bed.

One hot day, when I was in my teens, I did what many kids do when playing outside and they get thirsty, I grabbed the water hose.  As I bent over to turned on the faucet and take a drink a large black spider flew past my lips as the water pressure forced her out of the hose.  Needless to say, I freaked out. 

What Are You Afraid Of?  Many Christians are still deeply immersed in the secular world, and even though they are born again, the fearful attitudes of the unbelieving world around them have begun occupying their minds as well.  What with the evening news, the internet, radio and TV talk shows, all filled with the latest news about the COVID-19 crisis, it’s no wonder.  But In 2 Timothy 1:7 we are told, “For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.

Fear is not helpful, because a spirit of fearfulness and nervousness does not come from God. However, sometimes we are afraid, and sometimes this “spirit of fear” overpowers us.  And to overcome it we need to trust in and love God completely.  The scriptures tell us, “There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.” (1 John 4:18)

 No one is perfect, and God knows this.  The Word of God has a lot to say about overcoming fear, specifically, why we should not fear.  Our primary source of strength that enables us to withstand fear will always be the knowledge that God is with us.  Throughout the Bible, God commanded individuals to "Be strong, do not fear; your God will come…” (Isaiah 35:4) or, “Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:9)   He was assuring them of His presence and help on their behalf.

For example, Isaiah 41:10 encourages us, “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”  And in Matthew 10:31 we are reminded, “So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. These cautions continue throughout the Bible, covering the many different aspects of the spirit of fear.

We need not fear danger from anything natural or supernatural, small or great.  It is the love of God that overshadows us and gives us victory in and over all these things.

If we trust in the constant presence and love of God, we can overcome fear and make this proclamation as the shepherd David did hundreds of years ago, "
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me." (Psalms 23:4)





No comments:

Post a Comment