Sunday, March 1, 2020

Can a Christian Experience Depression?


Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God. (Psalms 42:11)

Depression is the "common cold of the mind."  It shakes us like an emotional whiplash.  It's a flashing signal that something is wrong in a person's life or relationships.  It’s estimated that 16.2 million adults in the United States, or 6.7 percent of American adults, have had at least one major depressive episode in a given year, and these ongoing feelings of deep sadness and hopelessness, in addition to other symptoms such as low energy and indecision, occurs in 1.5 percent of U.S. adults in a given year.  It is also more prevalent in women than men, and half of all cases are considered serious.  [1]

Depression is one of the church’s little secrets.  Many believers incorrectly think that if someone is a Christian, they shouldn’t have a struggle with depression.  I want to expose that myth.  If you read a majority of the Psalms that King David wrote, he experienced terrible depression, as did many other people in the Bible.

“My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from the words of my groaning? O my God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer, by night, and am not silent.” (Psalm 22:1-2)

Depression can be brought on by many different factors or issues in our daily lives.  Sometimes it is temporary and sometimes it last for a long period of time.  It is different for each person but the symptoms are all the same.  There is a feeling of loneliness, sadness, exhaustion and even thoughts of suicide.  There is a feeling of giving up and losing all hope.  In the world today doctors and therapists want to treat it only with medication and therapy.  While these may be necessary do not overlook the power of God in a person’s life.

One of the first concerns many Christians have when they seek help for depression is whether depression a sin?  NO!  Some of the great men of the Bible suffered from depression such as, Moses (Exodus 18), Elijah (1 Kings 19), Jonah (Jonah 4), and David (Psalms 69 and many others).  If you study the lives of these men you will notice that all of them had not always taken care of themselves physically.  They were exhausted and without proper food and sleep.  Emotionally they were afraid, or felt inferior to the job, or were angry with God for loving their enemies.  God never condemned them.  He sent someone to help them carry the load, or He made them get food and rest before he restored them.

Depression can be a very lonely battle, because one of the main symptoms of depression is feeling alone.  I have seen marriages come unraveled because the depressed spouse has lost their passion, energy, and any interest in activities they once enjoyed.  Are you or someone you love currently suffering from depression?  Here are some symptoms you may notice in yourself or loved ones:
1) An overwhelming sense of sadness
2) Loss of interest in various activities
3) Changes in appetite and/or sleep patterns
4) Feelings of worthlessness
5) Suicidal thoughts

If the majority of these symptoms describe you, you might be suffering from depression.  The first thing I want you to know is that you are not alone.  There is help that is ready and willing to meet you right where you are and join you on your journey to recover your life.  Call your primary doctor for help, and go talk to your pastor at church.  Most important, you must make the decision to seek treatment with the help of God.  Remember, you are not alone!

The myth that Christians cannot be depressed is one reason I believe that some people do not seek treatment.  They feel ashamed for what they are experiencing, and they don’t know where to turn.  Other godly men in the Bible experienced the same feelings, such as Elijah.  When running to escape from Jezebel, he came to a broom tree, and sitting under it to rest he prayed that he might die.  “I have had enough, LORD," he said. "Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors.” (1 Kings 19:3-4)  In more recent times, some of the great preachers in the history of the church, such as Martin Luther, Charles Spurgeon, and C.S. Lewis fought this battle most of their lives. 

And now for my true life confession, I have struggled with depression off and on for years. Sometimes it grows with persistent problems in my life.  Other times it comes on with no apparent reason.  During those periods I didn’t understand my feelings.  My family and friends assumed I was just shy.  I knew other believers had depression, but I also knew people thought of them as probably having sin in their lives, or they needed to pray more.  After I entered the ministry my guilt and shame at having depression increased.  For many years I dealt with this problem before I finally realized it wasn’t always just a spiritual problem.  Depression can have its roots in the physical as well as the emotional. 

In addition to professional help, I would also like to recommend a few practical suggestions you can do on a daily basis to help alleviate your symptoms:
1) Exercise
2) Watch a comedy
3) Use positive self-talk
4) Tackle one thing at a time
5) Journal your feelings
6) Stay connected with friends and family
7) Hug someone
8) Do something nice for yourself
9) Take one day at a time and read scriptures.  

For example:  “Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" (Hebrews 13:5-6)  “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:13)  Also, many of the Psalms speak directly to our need for encouragement, a sense of self-worth, and confidence.

If you think you are suffering from depression, please do not hesitate to reach out to someone for help.  If you have not experienced depression, I want to encourage you to reach out to someone if you see them struggling or hurting.  I believe simple acts of kindness keep us compassionate and help us to begin to understand how depression can affect our friends and family.  

Depression does not discriminate based on color, race, gender, or social class.  It is not something to fear in other people, but an opportunity to reach out and let them know they are not alone.  



[1] Healthline, https://www.healthline.com/health/depression/facts-statistics-infographic#1





No comments:

Post a Comment