Friday, August 5, 2016

Conviction of sin



This is my third and final installment of this series on sin.  I hope it has help you in your relationship with God.  

“But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment...” (John 16:7-8) 

Conviction can be a powerful thing in the life of a Christian.  The Lord himself purchased us with His blood (Acts 20:28), and we are no longer our own.  We belong to the Holy One of Israel.  Since we are no longer our own and since we belong to God, He has taken up residence in us.  As Jesus said in John 14:23, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him."  God lives in us.

Even as Christians, we sometimes sin.  Such acts of rebellion against God brings about a sense of conviction in our hearts where the Holy Spirit prods our hearts, sometimes gently, sometimes with strength, and brings us to the place of confession and repentance.  This sometimes distressing conviction of the Holy Spirit is a wonderful thing, no matter how unpleasant it is at the time.  But that is the nature of many good things; they are sometimes better when gained through distress.

God loves us enough not to leave us alone.  He has our best interest at heart.  He does not want us to participate in the things that sadden Him and bring harm to us.  This is why Jesus said that He would not leave us alone, but that He would send the Comforter who would help us and guide us. (John 14:26)  This Comforter is the one who gives us the promise of our salvation so that we might know we possess eternal life. (1 John 5:13)  He also anoints us and teaches us. (1 John 2:19)  And, He constantly and lovingly convicts us of our sins.  Why does he do this?  Again, to bring us to confession and repentance.

How is your relationship with God?  Is it such that even your minor sins brings an uncomfortable awareness of guilt?  Do your sins result in conviction in your soul?  If you do not experience this, then you are either not saved or you are in need of repentance.  Or, perhaps you are so dedicated in your walk with the Lord that you rarely sin.  Perhaps, it is possible.  But in my life, I have yet to arrive at such a place.  In my life the Holy Spirit is active in a wide variety of ways.  Conviction is simply one of them by which He ministers holiness to me, and for that I'm thankful.

Are you thankful?  Does your conviction bring you to repentance and confession?



Would love to hear from my readers.  Please feel free to comment on this post. 

Be sure to read the others posts:
What Is Sin?-Part 1 
Are Some Sins More Sinful?-Part 2 
   


Can God change your life?
God has made it possible for you to know Him, and experience an amazing
change in your own life.
Discover how you can find peace with God.



No comments:

Post a Comment