Wednesday, October 24, 2018

A Life Pleasing to God


“By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death; he could not be found, because God had taken him away. For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God. And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.” (Hebrews 11:5, 6)

How do you please God?  In many places in Scripture we are told that without faith it is impossible to please God.   It is faith that pleases Him, belief that He is there, and that everything in life comes from His hand. 


This passage identifies faith—belief in God and believing He will do what He says He will do—as a prerequisite for pleasing God.  It also gives a prime example of this kind of faith, Enoch. (Verse 5) Enoch lived in the increasingly evil world before the Flood, but he didn’t live the evil life other people were living.  Instead, he “…walked with God…” and “…he pleased God…” (See Genesis 5:24; Hebrews 11:5)

Highlight in your minds the word all.  Pain, sorrow, grief, disappointment, as well as happiness, joy, and excitement, all these things are gifts of God.  When we see life in those terms, any and every element of life can have its measure of joy, even sorrow, pain, and grief.

In Galatians I’m reminded to “…keep in step with the Spirit.” (Galatians 5:25a)  When I’m choosing to live according to my “flesh,” I’m choosing thoughts and activities that do not please God.   I know that I can hardly trust my own ways as described in Proverbs 14:12 where even the wisest king who ever lived wrote, “There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.”

When we’re walking with Christ, the difference is that Jesus is with us, and we are looking at our sin together. He is giving us power to change.  He isn’t shaking His finger or turning His face away when we come to Him with a repentant heart.  He’s ready to embrace us in the middle of our sin.  He loves me.  He loves you.  He delights in us.  

All day long, we’re assaulted with different messages from the media and culture that can distract us from God’s best ways.  So I examine my life carefully and pray as David did:

“Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” (Psalm 139:23, 24) 

I have compiled a list of eight questions to help me, like Paul prays, “…to discern what is best…” (Philippians 1:10)

1) Does this activity bring me closer to Jesus or further away?
2) Is this activity against the law or another authority?
3) Is this activity forbidden in Scripture?
4) Does this activity help others know Jesus?
5) Would I be embarrassed if Jesus arrived and saw me doing this thing?
6) Is this decision more likely to bring me into temptation or into godly choices?
7) How do I feel about myself and my relationship with God after doing this thing or being with this person?
8) Is the Holy Spirit saying no, and am I ignoring Him?

Who are you trying to please with your life?  Are we determined to live our lives to please God, to please ourselves, or to please someone else?  Pray that our faith will be the result of a genuine love for God.  And encourage one another to live a life pleasing to God–a life of faith, seeking that which will glorify the Lord!



Can God change your life?

God has made it possible for you to know Him, and experience an amazing
change in your own life.
Discover how you can find peace with God.


 




No comments:

Post a Comment